Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Interview with Mr. Kempf

By: Jacob Haney
            On October 3, 2016, I interviewed our new principal, Mr. Kempf, on his time being principal here at West. We discussed his previous experience and his plans for the future.

Jacob: Why did you decide to apply for principal here at West?
Mr. Kempf: It first starts with community. Lawrence is an amazing community and there’s a lot of things going on that I wanted to see or my family to experience. I really love this area and the community supports education, so West is a phenomenal school. It really has the reputation of a great place, not just for kids but for adults. Some people in the community really said, “Hey this is a good fit for you, you should look at it!” That’s why because if it wasn’t West, I wouldn’t have come.  
   
Jacob: Do you have any previous experience as principal in any other schools? If so, what were they?
Mr. Kempf: I have been principal for six years (including this one). In the last four years, I have spent my time in Emporia Middle School where I was the Associate Principal, and an Elective Director. Before that, I spent my time as principal at a small K-12 school in White City, KS, about 20 minutes south from Junction City. I really love the Lawrence area, and I have always hoped to get back this way. When West opened up it provided an opportunity to come back to Lawrence.

Jacob: How is your time being principal at West so far?
Mr. Kempf: My time at West has been great. It’s been nice to come in to a building with awesome kids and teachers, and it’s a different environment from where I came from. I also really enjoyed getting to know people, the culture here at West, and becoming a Westie.  

Jacob: What’s your favorite thing to do as principal here at West?
Mr. Kempf: Watching the students as they use their creativity, and go through the learning process. It’s been really amazing seeing what kids do in the building. The iPad initiative really helps out, and I believe the teachers will be really good about having kids produce things because it’s not a sit and get environment. The kids use their hands or tools to take what they learn and to produce so that everyone can look at and enjoy.

Jacob: What do you plan in the future for West?

Mr. Kempf: Maintaining the slogan of the school because West is best! We don’t want to continue doing things just because West has always done those things. We want to find things that will put West ahead of everyone else. So whether if it’s the iPad initiative or any other initiative in the school district we will be on the leading edge of that. So it’s finding and forming education for students, and make it where the students can go through West and be prepared for high school and prepared for college and life afterwards.      

No comments:

Post a Comment